Top 10 Tsundere Anime Characters

May 2, 2012 @ 0:08 CST

Targeting one of the most controversial topics in existence, right up there next to politics and religion, a list has been assembled ranking what a group of many otaku have voted to be the top 10 tsundere characters.

Take a look at the ranking below:

1.) Misaka Mikoto (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun)

2.) Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
3.) Serizawa Fumino (Mayoi Neko Overrun!)
4.) Senjogahara Hitagi (Bakemonogatari)

5.) Naruko Anjou (Anohana)
6.) Azunyan (K-ON!)
7.) Minami Shimada (Baka to Test)

8.) Katsura Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku)
9.) Asuka Langley (Evangelion)
10.) Sanzenin Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku)

These results are enough to incite flaming riots across the nations – surely any can agree that most, if not all, featured on this list are what is called, “a tsundere”, however the ordering of them is where more than a fair portion of us will not find common ground. Yet even worse, it is unlikely everyone shall feel the entries of this list to be fitting – considering that after all, this is intended to be a listing of “the top 10″ of all tsunderes, the utmost “tsun tsun” and “dere dere” of the tsundere.

Before immediately using personal preference as an excuse, there is actually another method one could rightfully use to judge which tsundere of the many thousands takes the top spot in a bout as this, one to determine who boasts the highest degree of relevant tsundere qualities – and that would be to metric them according to how well they fit the definition of the term “tsundere”.

Unfortunately, this word “tsundere” has essentially become all-inclusive to account for far more than it should – and thus, there is no measurable standard of tsundere. As such, the word is more so a popularity wildcare – if many are willing to recognize a character as tsundere, then similarly to lies becoming truth in the tale of Puss-in-Boots, that character will have become a tsundere.

Taking a phrase from Nisemonogatari, a fraud may be more real than the real thing.

And so returning to the chart of tsunderes, one truly cannot debate any tsundere to be more so a tsundere than another – one can however complain about the absence of certain tsunderes from this chart which purportedly contains the cream of the tsundere crop. Everyone’s favorite little sister, Kousaka Kirino, is nowhere to be seen – and neither is her gothic lolita friend, Kuroneko, who is definitely a high-ranking member of the tsundere class.

Another notable tsundere not found is Symphogear’s Yukine Chris, a female who is greatly superior to most tsunderes in that she adheres to nearly the original definition of the word – all without any of the much argued violence.

It’s truly quite variable a list as the subject itself is seemingly elastic – though nonetheless, this data shall do well to contribute to the ongoing study of tsunderes.

• Dusk252 says:

The first place should have been Makise Kurisu.

I dom’t really care about the rest, since there’s a very limited number of tsundere characters I like. From that list, only Mikoto and Senjougahara are tolerable to me.

Personal preferences aside, I’m quite surprised not to see Shana on that list…

I’m quite surprised as well – though in any case, my favorite fo all tsunderes has to be Serizawa Fumino. The anime wasn’t anywhere near decent – although her character was definitely my second dimensional dream girl.

I prefer Kaname Chidori, if she counts as tsun.

• railgun says:

Mikoto is obviously one of my favorite characters, so I approve.

Um just saying has everyone also forgotten Louise from The Familiar of Zero? I think she deserves atleast third place the girl from Bakemonogatari was good but i think there’s a limit to how pyscho 1 Tsundere can be.

what? no louise?

• neodarksun says:

No Eri Sawachika from school rumble? List, you disappoint me……

I am also disappoint.

I like her a lot, her character design is unique – and she’s moetacular in appearance and personality.

• neodarksun says:

Yeah, I was seriously happy when I found out she got the happy end in the manga.

Also, IDK if someones can confirm, but wasn’t meant to be a supporting character? However, she was promoted to become a main due to her epically interesting relationship with harima.
        If that’s true then, it’s one hell of an achievement. On a awesome series like school rumble, nonetheless.

Don’t worry about having spoiled anything when I ask this, but she got the happy end in the manga!?!

I need to go read it right now. It’d be nice if the books are cheap enough to purchase.

• neodarksun says:

Err the sequel titled, school rumble “Z”.
            A lot of people thought it was confusing as it seemed liked a vision but seeing as everyone else received a confirmed future, so I’m positive it’s their ending(at least it’s interpretation due to it being favorite couple of the series).
            Everybody I wanted to end together did, even hanai…..

I personally think Kyou Fujibayashi from Clannad deserves a spot near the top. Also worth noting is Lucky Star’s Kagami.

AISAKA TAIGA! DESERVES THE FIRST SPOT NOT JUST SECOND! ANYWAY, SHE”S ALREADY FIRST ON MY HEART! :)

TAIGA AISAKA <333

CHRISTTIIINAA is not here UWAHAHAHAHAHA

Aisaka Taiga~~~ forever <3

Why is Azunyan even considered a tsundere?

#1 Misaka <3
    deym can't get enough of her expressions <3

#1 Misaka <3
    best tsundere eva!! xD

Naruko Anjou is not a totally a tsundere for me =/
    wait, where is Louise from Zero no Tsukaima?

Stupid Hinagiku came b4 Nagi!

How bout Eucliwood hellscythe?

She’s considered a tsundere…

I’m not big on tsundere, but this list is a crying shame without Ayano Sugiura at it’s #1 spot.

Hey! Shana should include there!

No Koko and no Kurisu Makise? I’m out…

…and no Rin Tohsaka