Finally has Guilty Crown rid the world of its below average attempt at a sci-fi action series – ending on a note nowhere near where it began, yet remaining as obscure and inconsistent as its been since episode two.

Guy and Shoe continue their babbling as Gai resurrects “Mana”, Shu’s sister that he doesn’t love, at the expense of “Inori”, Shu’s sister with a slightly different hair color and outfit who Shu does love. Mana comes back to life from Inori’s body, which incidentally happens to be her own body – resurrecting from within herself as if she ever went anywhere, and immediately upon receiving a new costume and hair color, Inori, now cosplaying as a character called “Mana” catches sight of Shu and rushes over to him.

However, Shu is not like Gai – he doesn’t have a fetish for onee-chan characters, he actually hates his sister, and so he pushes her away. And with that, Gai becomes enraged – prompting the start of a battle much expected and dull. The fight is incredibly easy to calculate before it happens – main character starts losing, and all the while, his friends also find themselves getting beaten before then being met with a happy ending.

During the fight, Gai begins his pointless plan to turn the Earth into crystallized matter while Shu makes a futile attempt to defeat the super invincible Final Fantasy cosplaying version of Gai. The side-characters are still out of luck, and constant jabber goes on with no significant reasoning behind it – ensuring the situation seems entirely and totally helpless. Then equally as foreseen in advance, Shu magically becomes revitalized with power after going senile and seeing delusions of his lover, his sister under the name “Inori”.

With that, Shu’s sister under the name “Mana” suddenly stops her ballet dance routine which was destroying the world – and the episode subsequently shows how all the side-characters are now winning this fight like the back of their hand in the ever-typical shounen series fashion. Likewise, Shu’s main character status does not go to waste – although Gai was untouchable only a moment ago, now Shu’s set for victory as he powers up like he’s been watching Dragon Ball his entire life.

Shu then lunges forward with his Yahiro blade – and in a manner just as incoherent as this entire episode has been thus far, Shu suddenly has a ghostly Inori hanging off him as he darts towards Gai with his weapon. Shu ends up killing Gai – and immediately thereafter, begins crying about how his friend had to die, almost as if he wasn’t the one who massacred him.

Afterward, Shu meets Gai in some alternate realm – a place where Gai shares his instantly conjured up reasoning behind why he became an antagonist, as if it actually makes any sense or gives closure to his character, which it doesn’t.

If anything, Gai’s self-proclaimed purpose behind his expedition does nothing more than make his character a joke without anyone even needing to intervene and say any further. Out of all the possible options, Gai felt the single way that Shu’s sister can die properly is to bring her back to life himself and have her randomly turn into Inori again before dying a thousandth time as Inori. With that said and done, Shu instantaneously finds himself back in the real world – now holding his arm up in the air as this apparently is a skill to absorb cancer over long distance.

Upon the final moments, we’re shown an “I couldn’t think of anything better”-styled conclusion as the crew of unmemorable characters gather and Shu arrives still as generic as ever.

Guilty Crown was basically this, an introduction with a lot of intensity and impact – there was mystery in that plot points were opened. That was splendid and seemed to be full of twists – however once the series started going up in episode number, but nowhere in story, then a problem arose. Guilty Crown would pass each week, episode by episode, and the story would remain where it was at episode one. The characters were going places and forgot to take the plot with them.

This made for a spectacle so easily predictable every time as instead of thrilling originality related to the main story being displayed, we were shown conventional getaways without any hint of relevance to the central story.

Once Guilty Crown’s staff finally realized they left the story behind in episode one, the producers of the series, Production IG, made a last ditch effort to recover it to the best of their finances, making sure they don’t spend too much on developing a great story, yet still make sure their current one can be profitable with those who haven’t indulged as deeply in anime, or simply aren’t so strict in taste – which is fine if you’re like that, though it doesn’t change the fact that Guilty Crown lacks in quality, presentation, and execution.

It’s not worth watching – though if one finds themselves raging with excitement at latest flashback filler episode of Naruto, they may also enjoy Guilty Crown as it is essentially the same concept, flashbacks and fillers with a hint of pseudo-plot in the finale.

And now I present the single greatest scene of the series:

…that did catch my eye ><

Yours and mine alike – I wouldn’t want to be guilty of missing Guilty Crown’s defining moment.

I was surprised that the animators did that in the end. Through the whole series, nothing else like that ever really came up.

Yeah, I thought “Great, take one of the few characters with a shred of integrity and make it a pointless fanservice moment”

They wanted to make sure the series was entirely ruined by the time the credits were rolling.

My darling Tsugumi came out intact….the only damn character that I actually enjoyed watching.

I like her as well – though I never understood her purpose in the series, not that anything in Guilty Crown has one, although it seems like her role specifically was to randomly intercede and provide several seconds of tightsuit.

I’d like to say she did well – but she could have done far better.

I would like to say it was the moe appeal and be done with it. But there was something about her character that grabbed me from the start. I think it was the fact that both her, Ayase, and a few members of the Undertakers (woefully underdeveloped) seemed to understand the stakes involved. They went thru some form of unseen character arc that made them credible. Where Shuu, Inori, and Gai were cast out of a whistful meaning of character, the supporting cast were made of real parts. In that respect Hare is a top character.

Agreed – Shoe and Guy were only powered by their siscon fantasies, with Inori merely catering to both openly. All the while, the side-characters were actually looking forward.

• Kudos to Wheelchair-chan for being much more well endowed than I would’ve otherwise given her credit for.

I like the way they jiggle violently all over the place – not the usual up and down.

I thought the purpose of a suit such as that was to hold onto things tightly. I guess fanservice physics trumps all….

Maybe they’re just too much for the suit to handle – it failed under the stress, which is quite dangerous. They should test the equipment better or there’s going to be girls with two oppai less.

• alexsaingxd says:

This episode was great, however, the fight between Shu and Gai could had been longer – wishing for a second season yet to come later on in the future, possibly may not happen.

Now what sucks about this last finale episode was that Inori didn’t came back to the real world although she did for only a short amount of time. And also, our King, Shu, turned out blind? Very disappointed for that to happen and of course, after all that Lost Christmas whatever had ended, Shu lost his King’s power – returning back to a regular kid again.

What I only like about this episode was where Inori came back, but in a sad position – covering herself into a virus that can’t be cure; to where Shu and Inori came close. Inori confessed to Shu and trying to find Shu’s hand for her last moment with her love.

Another favorable scenario that I like was the birthday cake for Hare. Even though she had died, friends do certainly celebrate each others birthday whether one is alive or passed away.

Lastly, the ending (one may feel disappointed when Shu turned blind) to where Shu sat alone on the bench, listening to his music, he saw Inori. In my aspect and opinion, with all due respect to Guilty Crown, was romantic. Shu and Inori deserve to be together because of the things they been through especially Inori.

Guilty Crown may have been an unexpected results, but those are my favorite scenes. I wish this show could’ve been better. This last episode has disappointed me.

Who said he’s blind? Not everyone with a cane is automatically blind. If he is however, that goes to show all the more how incoherent this series is as it makes little sense how that would have had to do with anything.

Secondly, “our King”?

“unexpected results”

What part of that of that episode was “unexpected”? That they decided to still play the opening sequence even though it’s the last episode?

• You’re entitled to your own opinion of course, but no one in this series was even remotely deserving of being called a king, period.

Go watch Fate/Zero.

hahaha, fantastic review. thoroughly enjoyed, 5/5.

A rather pointless finale to a rather pointless show. I think the end card should have said, “We are so very sorry, but they guy that gave you Seikon no Qwaser II decided he could do even worse, and we said, what the hell, at least it has supercell.”

And from that day forward, Production IG realized they should spend on the story first, then use the remainder for the soundtrack – not the other way around.

It does make me wonder how supercell might feel about this show. I mean, they managed to get tons of great fan mileage out of both Nisemono and Black Rock Shooter this season. Very much “knocked it out of the damn ballpark” shows.

From what you have shown us in past reviews, it does seem that GC does have ahem, ardent actual fans. So I guess ryo and redjuice will be listening to them.

One must wonder indeed – I know Japanese otaku ridicule Guilty Crown as well, so surely they’ve come across the responses.

But will that fall under the “haters gonna hate” mentality. Or will they listen to actual honest critique of why this show failed?

You know, redjuice is on Pixiv, and ryo is probably on there too – I wonder if they respond to private messages.

• When all is said and done, and in spite of whatever we here may think, the fact of the matter is is that Crown has done at least over 12,000 in sales; well above the usual ten-thousand to deem a show a success… well, at least in terms of profits.

Regardless, it’s rather hard to argue in the fact of cold, hard cash.

And so, the anime industry continued to decline…

• I rather think of it as a sign of a battle that marches ever onward.

Despair lurks like the shadow of death – i.e. Guilty Crown in this case – yet a ray(s) of hope – i.e. Fate/Zero, Black Rock Shooter, the upcoming Jormungand, etc – motivates us to stand up and press forward with aspiration and the instinctive knowledge that no matter how much nonsensical crap they throw at us, we won’t take it lying down.

And the most incoherent moment of the entire smorgasbord: WTF was with that little robot family. What the hell did Tsugumi do?

• alan says:

i thought it was a cool series even tho a lot of people around here didn’t like it, the only thing or person i never liked was Shu and his personality, i was hoping that he was gonna die in the end but Inori saved him by taking all the virus with her and given him her life which disappointed me since i was expecting an ending similar to Code Geass but i did enjoyed it a lot.

We’ve discussed how fandom has reacted to this programme. For the most part, I hated the show, and only got any satisfaction from poking fun at it. I also took notes on how not to develop characters. But I’m interested, what about this show appealed to you. I’m not going to jump down your throat, but I am interested in the opinion of someone that actually enjoyed it.

“I hated the show, and only got any satisfaction from poking fun at it.”

But that’s actually a good question, which I’m interested in as well.

Interestingly enough, I rather liked Shu’s basic character arc. How someone evolves from zero to a hero is a great theme. And Shuu was right on that track. But at every turn, his evolution seemed forced. His motivation seemed to just get from the OP to the ED and than later, rinse, repeat.

I didn’t like anything about him – not even how he looked. Yet I still gave him a chance to turn out good during the short stint of confidence, and he ruined it.

• Almost every relevant point at which Shu’s character ‘evolved’ – not the way I would’ve put it of course, but whatever – was forced, as you’ve said.

However, a more focal point of his motivation derives from Inori and a desire to protect her, and this is precisely where I’m thrown for a loop. When did Shu ever really learn anything about her?

Throughout the majority of Crown, I could never get past him being just your average school boy with a crush, ignorant of a more adult-level relationship which requires… actually learning about your supposed partner.

It was only at the very end that we even got a glimpse of some actual development, and even that was sugarcoated from near start to finish with hollow explanations like “He gave me feelings” and other such things.

The worse thing about this all is that they literally say “He gave me feelings”.

• Therein lies one of Inori’s greatest faults. She was like a blank slate that you could easily paint over any proverbial color you wanted.

It’s not hard to believe she could’ve fallen in supposed love with almost anyone as long as they stayed with her to the extent that Shu did.

She’s like a little kid in that respect.

• Aw what the hell, I’ll jump on this bandwagon too. Let’s hear what you actually liked about Crown.

This wagon is pretty full.

• alan says:

Damn guys, this isn’t fair this is 3 against 1 and i cant never win an argument but this isn’t really an argument and i don’t have the talent to take something, break it into pieces, analyze every single detail of it and give a complex opinion about somethingjusy like Seven does but oh well what i liked abut the show are just simple things but they are what i look for in an anime:

Action: It had a lot maybe not a lot but it had decent action in it.

Animation: I liked every single piece of animation from character designs to all the special effects.

Story: I like a simple story,maybe is not so simple but of course isnt very complex i don’t know how you guys would categorize it and is development which in my opinion it wasn’t nearly as great as my favorites like Clannad, Ano Hana, Ef a tale of memories, Kimi ni Todoku, Mawaru Penguindrum and Steins Gate but I liked it, again thats just my opinion everyone can differ on what a great story is.

And I know all of this just may be superficial stuff but thats what I look for in an anime, makes me enjoy it and leaves me wanting to watch the next episode.

It’s understandable – I’d think there’s maybe half of otaku aren’t as analytical in their determining of whether a series was good or not under their own eyes. In simpler terms meaning, there’s a lot of people who are either satisfied, or not, and that’s all there is to it.

For the most part, it makes sense – and there’s also factors indirectly related to the anime, the viewing experience and viewer’s history, which also affect one’s perception of it.

• alan says:

also sorry if half of what i wrote doesnt make sence my english isnt perfect =/

Nah, it’s good – and like I mentioned, I see where you’re coming from.

Personally, I’m like the main character from Hyouge Mono, which if you’ve not seen, I’d recommend. So if I see any work of art, despite the medium, I’m rather elaborate in my consideration of it.

First: the design, from characters to backgrounds was very well developed and utilized. That world looked real and vibrant to my eyes. While it is true that the wheel was not reinvented, the spokes were bad ass.

Second: Music. All four main tracks were just so very well done. One could call them thesis state for supercell at this moment in time. The background tracks didn’t distract and underscored emotional and physical moments very well.

Third: The ensemble cast. I’ve said that the main characters were wistful, meaning the tropes they were based on were just skeletons, I didn’t see or feel any sinew or muscle or flesh. But the Undertakes and Shuu’s classmates felt much more real to me. It felt like they were part of a larger story. By contrast the main characters of Shuu, Gai, and Inori felt like they were there to service the plot; which btw never had an identifiable thematic structure.

Four: Tsgumi. Moe can only take a character so far. And the team of both her and Ayase felt like they knew the score. In only a few foul moments did they fall into the terrible plot.

• kamihimmel says:

I dont wanna say more about this animi.
    Music:9 Picture:8 Plot:1 Amusement:7.5
    this is not a scientific plot at all.

Shu should have died
    We should have seen more of Neko-chan
    It’s only the final episode that Ayase’s bust learnt of gravity
    Evil blonde guy was always a tsundere, he should have just died instead of having us pity him like a lost child.
    Gai’s who “be bad to be good” plan was retarded, you die, fool.
    Mara is just a little girl who fits at not getting her own way, responsing in a tsundere way. “I’LL NEVER EVER FORGIVE YOU… EVEN IF YOU APOLOGISE!”. Derp, menapause I say.
    Kenji and the scientist guy were the two most boring characters of the Undertakers, making for a boring assassination.
    The whole “hey let’s absorb all the infected shit and save the world” idea was retarded. And how absorbing Gai helped, fucking hell what was that jerk’s void anyway?

Bleh I could go on with many disappointing elements. But I really can’t be assed.

Actually one more thing….
      “Shu” this “Shu” that. Every god damn couple of minutes it’s as if the viewers needed reminding of what the fuck Shu is doing, or directing an action of his, or concern for him, with but a “Shu…”, “Shu!!”, “Did you feel that? It was Shu” (VOID RAPED) etc etc. I must have heard his name over 20-30 times in that one episode x_x I KNOW who’s failing/saving the world, you don’t have to convey every action that happens during this aborted apocalypse with but a mention of that indecisive bastards name.

I liked the music :3

What the hell is wrong with this review. I loved this show, and it did go through a really bad spot (episodes 15-20) but the series did pick up in the end.

It’s already been described a thousand times over why Guilty Crown is flawed and fails – if you’re interested in knowing, feel free to read the stack of comments above, and/or the review over again.

• “but the series did pick up in the end.”

Respective difference in opinion. I’ll concede that Crown did pick up somewhat in the end, but that by no measure of grace salvages the series as a whole.